the clans - what can be done

the clans - what can be done

Clans

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
172d

@very-rusty said
@venda,
I completely agree with Suzianne as a separate rating for Clan Challenges would be good as many have been after for years.

It wouldn't matter if people wanted to play in tournaments, clubs, Site tournaments, and private games to lower their rating for Clan Challenges. This my old friend has been going on for many years as you know. Perhaps it helps you?

-VR
Yes. I've probably seen the suggestion in the past and forgot about it.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
172d

@venda said
Yes. I've probably seen the suggestion in the past and forgot about it.
As I've said I am co-captain on another site and only one member per Team ( You can only be in one Team) It works great there are many Teams ranging from 30 in them to over 200 members. You just have a forum for the Team itself not a Public one like we have here. I have never personally liked members being on multiple clans, so I am a bit bias you could say.

-VR

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
171d

@very-rusty said
As I've said I am co-captain on another site and only one member per Team ( You can only be in one Team) It works great there are many Teams ranging from 30 in them to over 200 members. You just have a forum for the Team itself not a Public one like we have here. I have never personally liked members being on multiple clans, so I am a bit bias you could say.

-VR
Numerous attempts have been made to inject some life into the clan forum at the Laikers but with little success.Even club forums are generally pretty lifeless in the clubs I am in with the exception of MUTI where we do all sorts of things non chess related.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
170d
1 edit

@venda said
Numerous attempts have been made to inject some life into the clan forum at the Laikers but with little success.Even club forums are generally pretty lifeless in the clubs I am in with the exception of MUTI where we do all sorts of things non chess related.
Start a club then you can play the odd game and do thing non chess related. I am sure you can bring life into them.

-VR

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
169d

@very-rusty said
Start a club then you can play the odd game and do thing non chess related. I am sure you can bring life into them.

-VR
Nah.
There's enough with MUTI and the forums for me

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
169d

@venda said
Nah.
There's enough with MUTI and the forums for me
Dave,
As usual you know yourself better than anyone else does. It was just a suggestion!

-VR

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
168d

@very-rusty said
Dave,
As usual you know yourself better than anyone else does. It was just a suggestion!

-VR
Ok my friend.
If I started a club and called it "we don't give a damn about the net points list" do you think many would join?

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
166d

@venda said
Ok my friend.
If I started a club and called it "we don't give a damn about the net points list" do you think many would join?
Most likely those who didn't give a damn about the net points would join up. 🙂

-VR

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
140d

It's all very simple

Stop accepting challenges from Metallica and breaking bad ...

But for some reason there's a significant amount of stupid clan leaders who just perpetuate the broken process ..

Refuse the challenges and the problems go away ... simples 🤣

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
140d

@venda

No one would join your clan, pudding.... unless they wanted to finish bottom

Mister

Sydney

Moves
140d

We're one day into the new year and the clan at the top already has 30 net points.
Games carefully reigned for maximum points and minimum player rating.
The clan system is a joke when the top clans (you know who you are) manipulate things so blatantly... and for what? There's no prize at the end.
Sad

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
140d

@the-postman said
We're one day into the new year and the clan at the top already has 30 net points.
Games carefully reigned for maximum points and minimum player rating.
The clan system is a joke when the top clans (you know who you are) manipulate things so blatantly... and for what? There's no prize at the end.
Sad
Just out of curiosity, I had a look at the net points list this morning and was surprised to see the Yorkshire Laikers on page one!!
Our current score is -12, but you can't have everything!

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
140d
1 edit

Update.The Laikers are -28 now
Why? I have just had 2 resignations from a challenge we had already lost simply for a positional advance on the net points list.
I mean what is the point of the site, to play competitive chess or to be top of a pointless list.?
They were interesting games only part way through and no way merited resignations.
My advice to anyone wishing to play games to their conclusion,or to where a resignation is merited is to avoid the clan system altogether.
I won't be looking at the net points clan list again so this is my last word on this subject

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
127d

Alex's 5 ways to tinker with the clan system:

1. Make the clan scoring a true Jan 1-Dec 31 competition. A hard year end.

2. Introduce a Clan specific rating to reduce sandbagging.

3. Remove the loss of points for the losing clan (no other completion in any sport etc has this anomaly).

4. Make every game contribute points, ie bonus points for won games irrespective of which clan wins the challenge

5. Remove the voiding of games for less than 4 moves (I've seen this practice appear a few times recently)

Will the above make the clan system fairer?

For sure.

Will the above allow a larger number of clans to challenge for top 3?

No!!

It's still a numbers game ....

more players=more challenges=more points

In my humble opinion the answer is a hybrid of the current system (with the above 5 points) and the old clan league system. This would make it more aligned to how OTB chess works .... with clans having teams in many leagues.

Obviously the devil in the detail, but I sense the clan system will be dead in 2 years without radical surgery ....

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
127d
1 edit

@anglian said
Alex's 5 ways to tinker with the clan system:

1. Make the clan scoring a true Jan 1-Dec 31 competition. A hard year end.

2. Introduce a Clan specific rating to reduce sandbagging.

3. Remove the loss of points for the losing clan (no other completion in any sport etc has this anomaly).

4. Make every game contribute points, ie bonus points for won games irrespective ...[text shortened]... evil in the detail, but I sense the clan system will be dead in 2 years without radical surgery ....
Just keep doing what you are doing and your prediction will most likely come true.

I called it 2 years ago if things didn't change the Clan Challenges would disappear. We are already down to 3 pages.

You are being handed points on a silver platter, so be it, the victory at the end of the year will not mean much. Nice to see a stand up fellow like Venda leave your clan because I would assume of your tactics and manipulation.

-VR