the clans - what can be done

the clans - what can be done

Clans

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

David

Bristol, UK

Moves
216d

DNR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
216d

@xanathar said
DNR
What DNR means?

do-not-resuscitate

A do-not-resuscitate (DNR) order is a legal document that means a person has decided not to have cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) attempted on them if their heart or breathing stops. People who choose to have a DNR usually have a terminal illness or other serious medical condition. Apr 14, 2023

-VR

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
215d

@very-rusty said
What DNR means?

do-not-resuscitate

A do-not-resuscitate (DNR) order is a legal document that means a person has decided not to have cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) attempted on them if their heart or breathing stops. People who choose to have a DNR usually have a terminal illness or other serious medical condition. Apr 14, 2023

-VR
DNR - Did not read as in DNR, TL (Did not read, too long)

It was actually a clever reply to the lamentation that the Forum is dying (like the clans themselves)

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
215d

I think the clan forum was originally intended for witty comments, bragging rites and gentle ribbing.
For example,when I asked for suggestions for a clan name for the Yorkshire clan when I took over,(I can't remember what we were called then)someone suggested the Yorkshire puddings,which made me smile.
Unfortunately it became dominated by a few people making nasty accusations and slinging insults.I stopped looking on it at one stage.It's improved somewhat since then but as has been said,the clan system is not in good health and the forum is suffering as a consequence

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
215d

@ponderable said
DNR - Did not read as in DNR, TL (Did not read, too long)

It was actually a clever reply to the lamentation that the Forum is dying (like the clans themselves)
If that is your opinion fine! 😛 🙂

-VR

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
215d

@venda said
I think the clan forum was originally intended for witty comments, bragging rites and gentle ribbing.
For example,when I asked for suggestions for a clan name for the Yorkshire clan when I took over,(I can't remember what we were called then)someone suggested the Yorkshire puddings,which made me smile.
Unfortunately it became dominated by a few people making nasty accusations ...[text shortened]... t as has been said,the clan system is not in good health and the forum is suffering as a consequence
Gentle ribbing pretty much always ends up into a name calling mud slinging affair. Been that way for a long time now, in my opinion of course.

-VR

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
215d

@very-rusty said
Gentle ribbing pretty much always ends up into a name calling mud slinging affair. Been that way for a long time now, in my opinion of course.

-VR
Not always.My friends and I are always "taking the mickey" from each other and it is always good natured

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
213d

@venda said
Not always.My friends and I are always "taking the mickey" from each other and it is always good natured
It is good natured until it isn't.

-VR

David

Bristol, UK

Moves
212d
1 edit

@very-rusty said
It is good natured until it isn't.
It is what you make it.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
209d

@xanathar said
It is what you make it.
It is what each individual makes it!

-VR

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
202d

@very-rusty said

-VR
So it's like the Spirituality Forum?

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
200d

@suzianne said
So it's like the Spirituality Forum?
Yes, I have a few of my fans back that use to follow me around. 🙂

-VR

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
172d

@ponderable said
As long as one player can be member in more than one clan, we have the problem how to apply the clan rating. If it was one clan rating then of course people will lose for one clan if they want to sandbag.

So the rating has to be per clan (at least). That doesn't need to be a problem since I have a rating for each club, but I doubt, that that rating is used for anything beyond the club table. (club rated games are still for the site rating)
Differing behavior depending on what clan you're playing for can be ameliorated by having all clan games going toward one rating for all clan games. Just like how it is now, except separate all clan games from all other games.

Separate ratings for each clan you play for would be confusing in the extreme. All clan games going to the clan rating, while all other games go to the regular rating (including tournaments). This way one could not just quit all tournament games to sandbag the clan games. One could quit all games for one clan to sandbag the clan rating, but that is self-fixing, as that clan leader would/should dump the player for dropping all his games.

I don't see the coding side, so that could be where the problem is, but once adopted, the system should be self-working. I'm guessing it would be a database issue, deciding which database should contain all the games completed before the turnover. I'd be okay with them all being placed in the "other games" rating, since that's where they are now. Maybe do all "provisional" clan game ratings until we get established, but that is just one option.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
172d

@suzianne said
Differing behavior depending on what clan you're playing for can be ameliorated by having all clan games going toward one rating for all clan games. Just like how it is now, except separate all clan games from all other games.

Separate ratings for each clan you play for would be confusing in the extreme. All clan games going to the clan rating, while all other games go ...[text shortened]... Maybe do all "provisional" clan game ratings until we get established, but that is just one option.
Interesting suggestion Suzie
After all,there's a separate club rating in place and one can be a member of more than one club.
It only applies to playing members of the same club though so that is somewhat different.
The big problem is the lack of clan play.
I can't really see how tinkering with the rating system would help

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
172d

@venda said
Interesting suggestion Suzie
After all,there's a separate club rating in place and one can be a member of more than one club.
It only applies to playing members of the same club though so that is somewhat different.
The big problem is the lack of clan play.
I can't really see how tinkering with the rating system would help
@venda,
I completely agree with Suzianne as a separate rating for Clan Challenges would be good as many have been after for years.

It wouldn't matter if people wanted to play in tournaments, clubs, Site tournaments, and private games to lower their rating for Clan Challenges. This my old friend has been going on for many years as you know. Perhaps it helps you?

-VR