the clans - what can be done

the clans - what can be done

Clans

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RIP Mghrn55

United States

Moves
249d

@stevehewitt said
… and another possible system enhancement to help clan leaders was something good that VESPIN told me - to check the game history of the two players you are assessing for a clan match. Could we just add the ability to select TWO players to see how they did against each other (rather than what we can do at the moment which is to just check ME against one other)?
I can show you the page where you place the two players and then their record comes up on how they did against each other. It's time consuming but it's one of the best ways to tell over everything. And if you add what Rusty said to this point I just made, you will be in the running at the end. You will also have to bring in new players and let some go. It's hard i know. But must be done to win a championship on here.

I'll show you the page tomorrow.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
247d

@stevehewitt said
@Very-Rusty
As a (newish) Clan Leader I’m very interested to learn what the clan leaders of the top clans “tell their clan members to do”. I’m trying to guide and motivate may team… but apart from giving them matches that they have a chance of winning, and have them share chess best practice wisdom, what else can I do or influence?
First of all Steve,I admire your efforts to spark further interest in reviving the clan system and you make a lot of comments I fully agree with,especially down to 2a.
I think we all agree that the reasons for the decline of the clan system are multiple and have been debated many times.
In answer to your question,one tactic which Metallica use which doesn't contravene any rules and has caused much controversy over the years is insisting on their members conceding games in challenges once the challenge is lost.This must motivate the members to try their very best to win games as quickly as possible so they don't have to concede when they are winning a game and also makes space for fresh challenges to be mounted

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
245d
2 edits

@venda said
First of all Steve,I admire your efforts to spark further interest in reviving the clan system and you make a lot of comments I fully agree with,especially down to 2a.
I think we all agree that the reasons for the decline of the clan system are multiple and have been debated many times.
In answer to your question,one tactic which Metallica use which doesn't contravene any rul ...[text shortened]... have to concede when they are winning a game and also makes space for fresh challenges to be mounted
@venda,
As the rules changed over the years so have the tactics/strategies. We once were allowed to play the same Clan more than 3 on going Challenges. Then you have the 3 moves rule I call the Mctayto rule. As the rules changed over the years the only Clan able to keep up and adjust to the changes was Metallica. Metallica always stayed within the rules but the Site made the rules and changed them as the years went by. Don't try blaming that on Metallica, as their Clan Leader was smart enough to keep up with changes being made. That they did, and will always be considered the most consistent of all Clans in that respect. Like it or not that is just the way it is. All the red thumbs you want to throw at this post will not change the TRUTH.
-VR

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
245d

@very-rusty said
@venda,
As the rules changed over the years so have the tactics/strategies. We once were allowed to play the same Clan more than 3 on going Challenges. Then you have the 3 moves rule I call the Mctayto rule. As the rules changed over the years the only Clan able to keep up and adjust to the changes was Metallica. Metallica always stayed within the rules but ...[text shortened]... st the way it is. All the red thumbs you want to throw at this post will not change the TRUTH.
-VR
I wasn't blaming Metallica for anything,but simply highlighting a tactic they use in answer to the posters question.
Also,you must know from previous posts that I don't use the thumbs system so I am curious to know why your post starts with my name at the top

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
244d
1 edit

@venda said
I wasn't blaming Metallica for anything,but simply highlighting a tactic they use in answer to the posters question.
Also,you must know from previous posts that I don't use the thumbs system so I am curious to know why your post starts with my name at the top
@ venda,
I quote what ever post I happen to be answering no matter who it is by. I will say again tactics and strategies changed as the rules changed. I don't know if you use the thumbs system or not, unless your word is Gospel.
-VR

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
244d

@very-rusty said
@ venda,
I quote what ever post I happen to be answering no matter who it is by. I will say again tactics and strategies changed as the rules changed. I don't know if you use the thumbs system or not, unless your word is Gospel.
-VR
Ok my friend.
I thought you would have seen some of my comments on the thumbs system on the various forums.
To clarify,I think "thumbs" belong on social media sites like facelift and twatter and serve no useful purpose on here.
As for Metallica, I have never been one of the critics of their tactics.
Fred, who was leader when I ran the Laikers could confirm this.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
244d

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
244d

I don't think what I had to say was that inappropriate. Obviously the Moderator thought differently, so be it.

-VR

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
242d
1 edit

Other than “it can’t be done” (no such word as can’t) - what prevents the introduction of a clan rating for each clan player? It would change the whole clan game. Cmon Russ lay it on me.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
242d

As long as one player can be member in more than one clan, we have the problem how to apply the clan rating. If it was one clan rating then of course people will lose for one clan if they want to sandbag.

So the rating has to be per clan (at least). That doesn't need to be a problem since I have a rating for each club, but I doubt, that that rating is used for anything beyond the club table. (club rated games are still for the site rating)

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
242d
1 edit

@ponderable said
As long as one player can be member in more than one clan, we have the problem how to apply the clan rating. If it was one clan rating then of course people will lose for one clan if they want to sandbag.

So the rating has to be per clan (at least). That doesn't need to be a problem since I have a rating for each club, but I doubt, that that rating is used for anything beyond the club table. (club rated games are still for the site rating)
What about tournaments and private games? They too change the clan rating. The Site would need a rating for clans only. (Clan Challenges)

-BT

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
240d
1 edit

@ponderable said

That is a very good point, I hadn’t considered the multiple clan side if things and sandbagging. You’re right, you would have to have had a rating for each clan that you played for held separately.

Lover of History

Northants, England

Moves
240d

@very-rusty said
What about tournaments and private games? They too change the clan rating. The Site would need a rating for clans only. (Clan Challenges)

-BT
I think so too. Maybe limit the number of clans that you can play for to three to simplify the coding?

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
239d

@medullah said
I think so too. Maybe limit the number of clans that you can play for to three to simplify the coding?
I believe multiple clans people are in are just a part of the problem, but still a part of the problem. You can hurt a clan you are in if you so desire.

This wouldn't be popular but if you were only allowed in one Clan, that would change possibilities of sandbagging big time with a Clan only rating.

-VR

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
217d
1 edit

Last remaining active thread of a dying forum.