Football world championship in Qatar

Football world championship in Qatar

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
05 Oct 22

@venda said
If your company was predicted to make thousands or more dollars from a sponsorship deal,wouldn't you give it a go?
Same applies to individuals who will be paid for their input.
As I've said before,it's all about money.
The only way to stop the rich getting richer on the proceeds is not to watch it in Qatar or on TV/internet but they know that will not happen.
You say yourself that you will watch it so you are feeding the companies and individuals
Let's take David Beckham as an example, dude is already insanely rich and makes a lot of his money just from his profile and reputation. The human rights violations in Qatar are criminal, anyone with half a brain can see that. Do you think that sort money is worth the lasting impact on your reputation? I don't and to answer your question I think the business sponsoring the event will lose more money through boycotts that what they'll gain from exposure. But that's just my opinion, maybe having a conscious and a sense of humanity is going out of fashion and enough people won't care.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
05 Oct 22

@trev33 said
Let's take David Beckham as an example, dude is already insanely rich and makes a lot of his money just from his profile and reputation. The human rights violations in Qatar are criminal, anyone with half a brain can see that. Do you think that sort money is worth the lasting impact on your reputation? I don't and to answer your question I think the business sponsoring the eve ...[text shortened]... ybe having a conscious and a sense of humanity is going out of fashion and enough people won't care.
As you say it's the world cup and millions will watch it around the world.
As you know,I am not a football supporter but no doubt the missis will have it on depending on the timings.
I suppose human rights and sport should be separate issues but you only have to look at the cricketers and Rugby players who went to South Africa in the Apartheid era to realise that it never will be.
As soon as money comes into the equation,everything else,for some people at least, goes out the window

Moves
05 Oct 22

@venda said
As you say it's the world cup and millions will watch it around the world.
As you know,I am not a football supporter but no doubt the missis will have it on depending on the timings.
I suppose human rights and sport should be separate issues but you only have to look at the cricketers and Rugby players who went to South Africa in the Apartheid era to realise that it never wil ...[text shortened]... soon as money comes into the equation,everything else,for some people at least, goes out the window
Oh, 4 matches a day, I'm sure you'll be forced to watch a few 😂

You're right, religion as well, look at Pakistan and India. Remember being in India in 2011 during the cricket world cup, they celebrated more after beating Pakistan in the semis than winning it.

This is different though, it's not just a country that has a questionable human rights record. It's also the fact that people have been exploited in the building of the stadiums and some have lost their lives. Qatar doesn't care.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
21 Oct 22

Seems like the sale of tickets is a big success. regardless of politics and corruption and other problems, people seem to like to be there in person.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
08 Nov 22

Hopefuls for the German teams suffered injuries, so I expect germany to be out at an early stage.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
05 Dec 22

@ponderable said
Qatar plays in the first round agains the Netherlands, Senegal and Ecuador.

I would bet that they won't make it into the k.o. Phase.
They didn't

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
12 Dec 22

@sands-al said
the way it will unfold, England will win it
They didn't...

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
12 Dec 22

@ponderable said
Hopefuls for the German teams suffered injuries, so I expect germany to be out at an early stage.
They were

Moves
12 Dec 22
2 edits

@Ponderable

(Reference to England / France game)

No

We just had an idiot for a referee, who didn't like England

The most incompetent display by a ref in my lifetime

Pathetic

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
13 Dec 22

@blood-on-the-tracks said
@Ponderable

(Reference to England / France game)

No

We just had an idiot for a referee, who didn't like England

The most incompetent display by a ref in my lifetime

Pathetic
Actually I was referring to a prediction before the start of the tournament predicting England as winner.

We had abysmal performances of referees before. Watch the Semi Final 1970 (Germany-Italy) if you have some spare time.

Moves
18 Dec 22

@ponderable said
Actually I was referring to a prediction before the start of the tournament predicting England as winner.

We had abysmal performances of referees before. Watch the Semi Final 1970 (Germany-Italy) if you have some spare time.
And the 2010 World Cup final. I'm not necessarily saying the Netherlands should've won that match - frankly, it should've been a draw and all involved refused a medal - but Howard Webb should've lost his job over it.