Opening traps

Opening traps

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grandpatzer

Earth

Moves
14d

And I had another one who when I set everything up for an honest Budpest gambit, he was going to make a London of it.

So I unleashed that simple little trap on him, and YES! he had to give up a bishop in the opening!

So I started to exchange everything, but he did his best to avoid that. As a result, the game lasted 83 moves.

But since I was a piece, and at the end two pieces ahead, it was pleasant time. 😃

The trap did it again!

But I have to say that before this I had two or three games where the enemy didn't fall for it. I was worried for a while that that would become a trend, but this game reassured me again.

Oh how wonderful the London system is!

https://tinyurl.com/traps-op-kill

Grandpatzer

Earth

Moves
13d
1 edit

So I started with the Zukertort (Sugar Pie) opening, and he does d5, and I do e4 and make it a Tennison gambit.

The enemy was high in the 1800’s, so I didn't think there would be any point in trying the simple trap, so I go for the complicated trap.

That went quite well. On move thirteen I pinned his queen on his king with my bishop, so he was irrevocably going to lose his queen for at most a bishop. He made one more desperate move that made it worse, and then the enemy surrendered unconditionally.
On move 13. 😆 😆 😆

I also had another Boden-Kieseritzky gambit today. This is a kind of reverse Stafford gambit for white.

The enemy made a peculiar move that you normally never see in this opening, and the damage was limited with the enemy. Usually it's much more. But at least I was able to make a nice horse fork, and the enemy had to give up a castle for a horse.
And that was nice.
But because I had played a gambit, a pawn sacrifice in the opening, I was already one point behind. With the fork I advanced a quality, which is 2 points, so I was only ahead by one point after the fork.
Still plenty of game left for the enemy.

But after some modest skirmishes he suddenly let time run out, and that was that.

But still nice such a horse fork clearing an enemy's rook!

http://tinyurl.com/dev-hors-4k    

Grandpatzer

Earth

Moves
8d

And here I had a nice Englund gambit in which the enemy had to part with a queen in the opening. He limped on to the 41th move but then surrendered.

And here a beautiful anti-Caro-Kann trap, which I could play to the very end, the very end being the enemy being mated on move 13.

https://tinyurl.com/Beware-trappy-gamb

Grandpatzer

Earth

Moves
4d 23h

I got a nice Stafford gambit on the board.
He pushed his e pawn to attack my horse. My horse jumped to e4, and then he played d3, to attack my horse. And that was the fatal mistake.
Bad loss of material could not be prevented anymore.
The horse which was in great distress because of the attacking pawn on d3, I left to it's own devices, and I played Bc5. Now the enemy could take my horse with his pawn, but he refrained from doing that.
Maybe he saw that taking my horse would cost him his queen. Therefore he put his bishop on e3. But that was also fine with me. That was also a losing continuation.
Because after my bishop took his bishop, and he played f2xe3 to take my bishop, the diagonal to his king was open. My queen gratefully took advantage of that. She moved to h4 and gave check. The enemy king had two options, run with the king, to e2, and then be checkmated in one move, or go g3. He did g3. Then my knight smacked in on g3, and the enemy could take my knight, but that would cost him the rook. So he moved his rook a step to the side, out of the knight's reach. But then my knight was able to make a discovered check. So my knight jumped to e4, and it was check. The king could choose again; or to e2 with mate in one move, or put something in between. The only thing that could go in between was his castle, so that went in between. Then my knight took his rook, his h pawn took my knight, my queen took his pawn with check, and then the king had to walk away. And in the meantime almost his entire king side had been stripped bare. 😄😄😄
Out of fright the enemy then gave away his queen, and that was that.

A fun and entertaining game. 😀

https://i.ibb.co/WfQMyHK/Stafford-gambit-killer-forest.jpg

Grandpatzer

Earth

Moves
2d 22h

And here I had a Stafford Gambit where I got the triple attack on f2. The enemy had to give up an exchange. I then sacrificed a bishop that he really shouldn't have taken, but he took it anyway. That gave me a mate in 2 moves:

And then he wanted to play again with white, and again we played a Stafford Gambit. This time he went exactly by the book and blocked my bishop with a pawn. Excellent idea, just not if there is a mat in 1 lurking in the position.

In the previous Stafford gambit, the enemy held out for 14 moves before the mate struck mercilessly.
The second Stafford Gambit was mate on move 9.

That was another smooth ride with the Stafford Gambit.

And then I got a funny Englund gambit.
The enemy had to surrender a full rook on move 6, and then he surrendered.

Nice miniature.

And then another Tennison gambit came along in which the enemy went horribly wrong.
I captured his queen, he could have traded it away, after which I would win a rook from him, but the enemy blundered away his queen, I still took a rook, and then, on move 12, he let the time run out:

Oh how I love opening traps!

https://i.ibb.co/BV3swhC/Psycho-op-traps-killers.jpg

Grandpatzer

Earth

Moves
2d 22h

And just now on the early morning I got a nice and funny Stafford gambit.

The enemy overlooked a pin, and that gave me a mate in 2.

On move 11 I drove a stake through the heart of Drakyla. 😆

https://i.ibb.co/kM7Dmc6/Pin-mighty.jpg

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
2d 21h

@congruent said
@greenpawn34 I see it now, how do you post a picture of a game like you did?
[ fen]rnbqkbnr/p3pppp/8/1p6/2pP4/4PQ2/1P3PPP/RNB1KBNR b KQkq - 0 6[ /fen]

remove the blanks after the square bracketts.

Grandpatzer

Earth

Moves
1d 12h

Things have been going well with my Englund gambits lately.

I don't try so often anymore to get a Budapest gambit on the board instead of the Englund, because too often they play the London, and I hate that.
And too rarely do they fall into that London trap.
With the Englund you start on move 1 with the direct hacking and breaking work, and I like that much better than that slow, irritating maneuvering in such a closed London or Queen's Gambit.

Yes, the Englund Gambit can put you in a bad position, but it is only a small minority who play that.

And there are many more miniatures on the board than those unfortunate positions.

I just had another one of 8 moves. 😃

Cracking up howling and convulsing! 😂

If things go wrong too often with the Englund, I will switch back to the Budapest.

https://i.ibb.co/y0gYV0x/chess-reaper-friendly-Englund-gambit.png