The magic of childhood

The magic of childhood

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
44d

For most of us, memories of our day-to-day events and those of the recent past have a familiar, mundane quality to them, but memories of our early childhood take on a brightly colored, almost magical quality. My Aunt once told me that this is because children come so recently from God. I wonder if this is true-

Moves
44d

@mchill said
For most of us, memories of our day-to-day events and those of the recent past have a familiar, mundane quality to them, but memories of our early childhood take on a brightly colored, almost magical quality. My Aunt once told me that this is because children come so recently from God. I wonder if this is true-
What do you mean by children have “recently come from God”?

Über-Nerd

Moves
44d

@mchill said
This is because, psychologically, when people remember a painful event, they remember what happened (burning your hand on a hot stove, for example) and that is was painful, but the memory itself is not the pain (except in rare cases of trauma). Whereas, when people remember a happy event, the memory itself can make one feel happy again.

The reverse also sometimes happens, in nostalgia, where people believe the past to have been better than the present. It isn't so. Most of the past was much the same as most of the present, but our memories play tricks on us.

Moves
44d

@mchill said
I wonder! Do you have any childhood memories of your own on coming from God?

And how would your aunt know where children come from?

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
44d
1 edit

@pettytalk said
I wonder! Do you have any childhood memories of your own on coming from God?

And how would your aunt know where children come from?
You're missing the point here. This has nothing to do with my memories of coming from God or my aunt's exact knowledge of where children come from. This was just idle speculation based on the fact that most people's memories of their early childhood are slightly different than those of the recent past.

Moves
44d

@mchill said
You're missing the point here. This has nothing to do with my memories of coming from God or my aunt's exact knowledge of where children come from. This was just idle speculation based on the fact that most people's memories of their early childhood are slightly different than those of the recent past.
Maybe not really an “idle speculation” for the spirituality forum then.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
44d

@divegeester said
Maybe not really an “idle speculation” for the spirituality forum then.
Put any label on it you want, it was just a discussion topic.

Moves
42d

@mchill said
Put any label on it you want, it was just a discussion topic.
Label, what label? I was interested in discussing the bit where you wrote;

”My Aunt once told me that this is because children come so recently from God. I wonder if this is true-“

But you closed that spiritual angle down and backed away from saying you “wondered if it was true”.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
42d

@divegeester said
Label, what label? I was interested in discussing the bit where you wrote;

”My Aunt once told me that this is because children come so recently from God. I wonder if this is true-“

But you closed that spiritual angle down and backed away from saying you “wondered if it was true”.
How very 'wet blanket' of you.

Moves
42d

@suzianne said
How very 'wet blanket' of you.
How so?