Middlegame study

Middlegame study

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
09 Aug 20
1 edit

Hello - In the the back of most (if not all) Informants their is a series of middlegame problems called "combinations" i.e. Combinations with mating attack, Combinations to reach a draw etc. My question is. Does anyone know of a book or online site with more of these types exercises?

Alekhine's Gun

🤔 Bolton

Moves
09 Aug 20

@mchill
Modern Chess Tactics - Ludek Pachman. Translated by P.N. Clarke, olde text 1973.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
09 Aug 20

@mchill said
Hello - In the the back of most (if not all) Informants their is a series of middlegame problems called "combinations" i.e. Combinations with mating attack, Combinations to reach a draw etc. My question is. Does anyone know of a book or online site with more of these types exercises?
The book I have to hand is "Pick of the Best Chess Problems." compiled by B.P.Barnes ISBN 0-7160-2002-5. The printing is from 1991 so I don't know if it's even still in print. They're all Meredith problems, white to play and mate in two with between 8 and 12 pieces. Here's the first one from the book:

The caption underneath is "Ladies First" and it was composed by Mrs. W.J. Baird and first appeared in Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News in 1902.

John Nunn had produced a collection of tactical problems as has Judith (Susan?) Polgar. So if you search on Amazon for their books you'll definitely find a collection.